Not getting good sleep can wreak havoc on your day; impairing your ability to concentrate, remember things and can lead to mood changes.
Many days without adequate sleep can disrupt your life and your disposition. If this describes you, you might want to check your sleep hygiene. According to the National Sleep Foundation https://sleepfoundation.org, sleep hygiene includes practices and habits necessary for good nighttime sleep quality and full daytime alertness. Need some tips on how you can cultivate good sleep hygiene?
- Exercise early in the day to promote a restful sleep – exercise promotes good sleep quality but
be sure to do it early in the day to avoid the release of endorphins right before bedtime.
- Limit daytime naps to 30 minutes or less – this allows you to rejuvenate your energy levels without compromising your nighttime sleep.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine – both are stimulants that can impact your ability to fall asleep. Steer clear of coffee, tea, chocolate and smoking close to bedtime.
- Avoid drinking alcohol – while drinking alcohol can sometimes help in falling asleep, it doesn’t promote restful sleep and, oftentimes, people wake up after a couple of hours preventing a full restful sleep.
- Avoid foods that trigger heartburn or indigestion – Nighttime stomach issues can leave you tossing and turning. Know what foods trigger this in you and avoid them in the evening.
- Expose yourself to plenty of natural light in the daytime – this will help to regulate your body’s natural rhythm in recognizing that nighttime is for sleeping.
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine – identify what relaxes you the most (Reading, Bathing, Listening to music etc…) and follow that routine daily.
- Remember that your bedroom is for sleeping – it should be a place of comfort and tranquility. Make sure that the room’s temperature, the bed and the bedding are comfortable and remove anything that will distract you from sleep such as televisions and phones.
With these helpful tips you’ll be getting your zzzzzzz’s in no time!