September is Healthy Aging Month. Maintaining your health is important at any age, especially as you get older. It can be a challenge to stay on top of healthy habits. According to Nurse Kim, these tips can help keep you healthy and strong.
Tips for Healthy Aging:
- Live an Active Lifestyle: Exercise your mind and body regularly to maintain your independence and help prevent chronic diseases.
- Eat Healthy Foods: Increase your fruits and veggie intake, make half of your grains whole grains, and reduce your sodium intake.
- Maintain Your Brain: 1 in 8 older adults in the U.S. have Alzheimer’s disease. Take dance lessons, complete crossword puzzles, or read a book.
- Get 7 to 9 Hours of Sleep: Develop a regular schedule with a bedtime routine, keep your bedroom dark and quiet, and avoid watching television or surfing the internet while in bed.
- Reduce Stress: Use relaxation techniques like breathing exercises, yoga, and meditation.
- Volunteer: Studies have shown that volunteering decreases levels of disability, increases levels of socializing, and gives a sense of purpose to aging adults.
For more information about our volunteer opportunities, please contact our Wellness and Community Integration Manager, Lara Estomin, at 267-298-1657.