March is recognized as National Nutrition Month. It’s a great time to take a closer look at you or your loved one’s eating habits. It’s also a great time to start incorporating healthier meal options into your diet.
Why is proper nutrition important? It helps energize your body and strengthen your bones, organs, and overall wellness. Adding foods to your diet that are filled with vitamins and key nutrients can enhance your health in a big way. The five main food groups include protein foods, grains, dairy, fruits, and vegetables.
To help incorporate these foods into your diet, Nurse Kim shares a few of her favorite tips:
- For protein, choose unsalted nuts or seeds as a snack, on salads, or in main dishes to replace meat or poultry.
- Keep your meat or poultry low in fat, tasty, and healthy by grilling, boiling, roasting, or baking.
- Add a glass of milk or a few slices of cheese to your meal to get calcium into your system for strong, healthy bones.
- Get creative with your salad by adding carrots, strawberries, or orange segments which are low in fat and high in fiber.
- Update your favorite meal by adding whole grains like brown rice or whole wheat noodles.